Anita Desai & erotica

Anita Desai has intrigued me ever since I read Village by the Sea , a delightfully charming little novel.You can really see that village come alive before your eyes .It demands to be read again.Despite critical acclaim ,I couldn't appreciate much what the big deal was about Fasting, Feasting.The book I'm reading now,falls into a style she seems to be enjoying doing of late. Diamond Dust is a collection of short stories and almost all of them without exception dissapoint.As usual , she's a master at description but the stories are just sitting around waiting for a solid plot or conclusion.Apart from the stories Winterscape,The Artisit's Life and The Rooftop Dwellers ,the rest are just mediocre.Almost as if that the descriptive style is almost an obsession with her .It leaves with you the vague uncomfortableness of having had half a measure of a good dinner.Winterscape,though, is almost perfect.

There's this site where they send a novel to ur mail box daily ,piece by piece so as to speak ,and which can roughly be read in five minutes or so.I picked up Shakespeare's sonnets and Lady Chatterley's Lover .I had read the latter years before mainly to check out what the fuss had all been about.This time, reading it properly for the first time, I realized I had missed out on a lot earlier.Sample this:

it's no good! It's no good trying to get rid of your
own aloneness. You've got to stick to it all your life.
Only at times, at times, the gap will be filled in. At
times! But you have to wait for the times. Accept
your own aloneness and stick to it, all your life. And
then accept the times when the gap is filled in, when
they come. But they've got to come. You can't force
them.


I have noticed it with certain writers that hidden in erotica is usually profound philosophy and because its clothed in erotica it doesn't seem that hard to digest ;-) A good example is Marco Vassi.But he's in a different league altogether...sublimally powerful stuff ..Especially Mind Blower and Countours of Darkness...err I haven't read any other titles,very hard to come by here ,I feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to write :)